Wednesday, January 20, 2010

word for the year

Do you make new year's resolutions? I've always liked the idea and remember when I was younger, making them always made me feel grown up somehow. It kind of makes me laugh now. When Brent and I were first married I suggested to him that we set some new year's resolutions. I was all excited and anticipated this would be a fun, kind of romantic, bonding experience for us....where we could make some resolutions and help each other stick with them. But, he burst my bubble and all but scoffed in my face announcing that *he does not make new year's resolutions*. HUH? I was totally shafted, though I know that wasn't his intent. And it isn't as bad as it sounds. If I had been even a bit hormonal I'm sure I would have burst into tears, but he quickly explained (and saved the day lol). See the thing is, he prefers the idea of consistently setting - and achieving - goals throughout the year...month, week, and even daily. Suddenly I liked the idea - and while I've always lived that way, had never thought it through like that. So, we didn't make resolutions. Interestingly, most times when we sit down and reconsider some things we should do better - the things we are hoping for happen.

I believe in setting goals. I believing in keeping track of our personal accomplishments and making a record of how our lives are changed as a result. And while some of these goals may coincidentally happen at the beginning of a new year, we don't really label them as *new year's resolutions*. Not that I really think it matters....though I think sometimes people make new year's resolutions and never think of them again.
One of the things I do like about the idea, however, is making the time to sit back and  reflect on the past year...and look into the new year hopefully having learned something and *resolving* to do - or not do - certain things as this year unfolds. I constantly have ideas and goals running through my head - so last year I followed my cousin, Radelle's lead and categorized and listed them. I'm glad I happened upon it right now as I see it's high time to look through the list again and update it as needed.

This really has turned into a bit of a ramble....it may or may not all come together in the end. :)

I've seen in the past and recently people making the effort to focus on one thing for the year - usually a word. I've seen Charity for example....patience, forgiveness, etc. I love this idea. It wouldn' t necessarily have to be for the whole year - you could do a new one each month....or every few months, etc. And it doesn't have to begin at the start of the year... But what I like about this idea is it puts a name to the goal. You can put this word in several places where you will see it often during your day as a reminder..Helping to keep you on track. So I have decided to do the same. This is something I've actually been working on for the past 4 months I would say, but I resolve to make it even more of a priority in this new year. Each year paves the way for the next - and this is something I really want to master.

My word for this year is

SIMPLIFY

In every aspect. I want my goals to be clear, concise, and achievable. I want my home to reflect my simplified outlook...(which will help as renos get underway)...I want each room to be organized, simplistic, and inviting. I want to make the effort to simplify my days so I feel like I can spend more time WITH my kids. Just with them. I want to organize myself in such a way that I feel relaxed when I take time for ME. The past couple of weeks have been awesome for this....I've taken the time to sit down and watch Oprah if I wanted to, play a game with the kids when they ask, sit and drink a steamed milk (homemade) while I get some computer work done. And I've MADE the time to go to the gym. I'm a firm believer that we MAKE time for the things that matter. I'm not much of a believer in *I JUST DON'T HAVE THE TIME* and more or less think it's a copout. We choose to fit into our lives the things that matter. I want to make more time for those things.

The thing is, I have so many projects I want to get to and get finished. But I am also trying to SIMPLIFY so I am working on one at a time. More than that can get a little chaotic and overwhelming at times and it can start to feel like there are *so many things* I'm not accomplishing. A few of them will be ongoing (our family journal for example) but once I'm caught up it won't be so much of an issue.

I'm really excited about this year actually...though the reality of it being my last year in my 20's *SNIFF* at times is difficult to choke (thanks a lot, Twilight! - ever since reading the book I've wanted to become a vampire and live forever so I can really get it all done. lol). But I'm excited for the things in store...and I'm loving my life even more than I did before since I've been MAKING the time to SIMPLIFY.

What's your word?

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online